Not so fast – it’s not that easy. Well, at least not if you want to be successful.
(Spending money is very easy. But if that’s all you want to do, I’ll send you a bank account number you can deposit to).
All lobbyists have different areas of expertise, contacts, working styles, success records, and fees. If you want to hire a good lobbyist – meaning one that’s effective for you, not just in general – you need to do some research into at least a few lobbyists, and find the one that will work well for you and your specific project(s).
After all, that’s the whole reason for this site – if I could just post a few names and be done with it, I wouldn’t go to all this trouble.
That being said, I do know some pretty good lobbyists, and one or two really good lobbyists. But they still need to match your needs and your budget. So if you’d like me to make a personal recommendation for some lobbyists that might work for you (as a private citizen, making no money and taking no responsibility), please post a comment (on this page or anywhere else on the site). Please include:
- Contact information
- Email please, blog or web page if email really doesn’t work for you.
- Note: I will not respond via comments. Instead, I’ll read your comment, respond via email, and then delete it without approving it, so no one else will see it.
- Zip code
- Trust me, this is really important
- For some guidelines on how much it costs, see the “What Does It Cost?” page
- Target audience(s)
- Congress, DoD, DHS, State, DOE (Energy), DOJ, Dept of Education, GSA, etc.
- If you don’t know, don’t sweat this (lobbyists can help you figure this out)
- Type of issue
- Appropriations, specific legislation, broad interest group agenda, etc.
- If you don’t know, don’t sweat it, but please give some reasonable details (next item)
- Details of issue
- Anything you feel comfortable sharing with me.
- No, I will not share this information with your competitors or anyone else.
- No, I will not sign a non-disclosure. If you want me to take the time to make a recommendation, you’ll just have to trust me.
In general, the more information you give me, the better a recommendation I can give.
But – please don’t write a novel (if I’m going to read that much, I prefer science fiction).